Thursday, July 23, 2009

Moving... Homeschooling... More...

...

I haven't dropped off the radar......... completely....

We've had SO MUCH going on ... Nathan has been sick off and on and I just haven't wanted to be on the computer, but I'm starting to get back to "normal" now... I think I just needed a vacation of my normal. I ended up reading 2 books (so far) working on my third... not to mention all the books I'm picking stuff out of for homeschooling.

So we are "officially" starting our Homeschooling today ... we're going to start out slow and just kind of take it easy the next couple of weeks. I have some fun little projects for the kids.

They are going to do a project today about "Favorites" and I'm going to give them a book of blank paper and a stack of magazines, paper, scissors, and they can cut out stuff they like - favorite stuff ... and have fun with it. We aren't going to do it until later morning or early afternoon though.

There have been some ... things ... happen and we're faced with finally having the opportunity to leave the state of Wisconsin. Which is better - for a lot of reasons. We love it here (both Dennis and I) but with him finishing up school and us looking towards our future, we realize that there REALLY aren't any big opportunities for him here. So he's looking into doing an externship in FL - at Disney - which would be paid (great thing) ... and we'd go with him. He has to start his externship in March so we'd be leaving here, our home ... in late winter. That's if he gets in. After his externship is over (it's a 6 month deal) ... we are going to move to a different state, at least for a few years. We've really decided on either North Carolina or Washington State.

North Carolina my best friend is, and his family ... Washington my parents are there ... my mom & step-dad and dad & step-mom. It's a hard choice... so I'm coming up with a pro's and con's list.



NORTH CAROLINA

Pros

  • Jenna & Family
  • Family
  • Beautiful Environment (Ocean, Mountains)
  • Lower Cost of Living (vs WA)
  • “More Forgiving”
  • Laid Back
  • Easy Going Folk
  • Easier Homeschooling Laws
  • Getting out on our own quickly (own place)

Cons

  • Hurricanes
  • Heat
  • Family
  • Slight Gang Issues



WASHINGTON

Pros

  • Family
  • Whales
  • Beautiful Environment (Ocean, Mountains)
  • Higher Pay Rate
  • Cooler Weather
  • Lots of Rain

Cons

  • Higher Cost of Living
  • Earthquakes
  • Volcanos
  • Harder Homeschooling Laws
  • No Friends (anymore – pout)
  • “Less Forgiving” Straight Forward Nature
  • Stuck Up People (I don't mean this in a bad way, just more likely to be the case not the rule)
  • Easy to feel rushed
  • Major Gang Issues
  • Harder to find housing we’d be able to afford





3 comments:

  1. Hope everyone is feeling better now.

    Its such a big choice and i hope you manage to make the best choice for your family. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're all doing well. I'm in Middleton (right outside of Madison) and I can't imagine leaving but either North Carolina or Washington will turn out great for you, I'm sure!

    p.s. following you from MBC Under 100!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you seem to have had a busy busy summer there. Coming from the south myself I would say North Carolina is a wonderful place to live! Can't say tooo much about Washington (the state) Could tell you lots about Washington the District of Columbia LOL Anyhow Best Wishes to you whatever you choose. And any type of job with Disney will lead to much greater things for your husband in the future! Following you from MBC.
    -Blake
    http://centerpetpharmacy.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete

Comment Love is better than....... Chocolate!