Saturday, May 9, 2009

SAHM worth $117,000 ...


Stay-at-Home Mom Worth Nearly $117,000 a Year

Yep - that is right... I am ... worth ......... SO MUCH MORE then that! Seriously - DUDE! You can read the article HERE .... but seriously - all they did was take 10 salaries and base it on that, and upon a survey of SAHM's general work week hours.... Lets see......

I am a Child Care Provider, and an OVERNIGHT one at that ... for that I work most the time, 126 hours a week. You have to take into consideration, I get up at 6am (if not earlier) and don't go to bed until after 10 (if not later), plus all those literal SLEEPLESS nights where I have a sick child, or an upset baby.

I am a Nurse ... I take care of all the bumps and bruises, the scraped and bloody knees and elbows, I do all the dishing out of medicine in appropriate amounts, I am the one who cleans up the vomit, presses the wet washhcloth to feverish foreheads, and who cleans up after the hershey squirts! I am the only one in this house who, when I'm sick, I get no rest.

I am a personal driver... ... to school, from school, medical appointments, other appointments, to the park, to the zoo, to the bibbity bobbity boo! Yeah - it's not everyday, but I do it!!

I am a cook .. now I am not my husband, he IS THE MAN in the cooking department, after all he will soon be CHEF DENNIS, I will give him that while thanking the stars on my knees! But... I do still have to cook. He's not here 24/7 ... and I have to be the master bottle maker after all. Snacks, lunches, and occasional dinners!

I am the Executive MASTER of my house ... It falls on me to keep track of all DRs appointments, play dates, other meetings, school schedules (three for that matter) ... after school stuff, favorite TV shows (thank goodness for the DVR) ... bill paying, money finding, organizing, "Where are my keys?" finding, "Oh and my wallet too" locator... cuz seriously - WHAT WOULD HE DO without me?

I am the Dish Washer ... well, more like the dish inspector/bottle washer at this point. That IS Cal's chore, however, I am often re-washing dishes and the one getting them in the sink (cuz if it's not there, he don't wash it!)

I am the Launderer - not saying I'm a very good one.. but I am the one that it falls on to wash, dry, fold, sort, put away and .... GAHHHH... do the socks! (cringing!)

I am the Landscaper...... now this may consist of just tossing down seed and saying a quick prayer "I hope you grow" ... but it also involves saving my poor stray seedlings from untimely death because big bad lawn mower man says "we have enough sunflowers, I'll just mow these down" to which I throw my body in the way of certain doom and say "no, they are living things! you can't just murder them!" and he says "well what about bees?" to which I look around innocently and say "well, if they are in my house, they die - sorry!" .. teehee...

I am the MAID ... a job I hate, and I don't do it well right now with two ankle biters and a 7 year old tornado that mess up as fast as I clean up, not to mention a hubby who likes to dump all the clean laundry I pile on the bed on the floor ... the dirty stinky (okay not really) floor where it stays cuz I want to prove a point! I clean the house, vacuum, I don't dust cuz I'm allergic to it and I prefer not to deal with my allergies so I have dust bunnies named Larry, Curly and Moe, not to mention their cousins Jasper, Casper, Harley, Marly, Mickey, Donald.... well, you get the point. I am the one who usually cleans the toilet, and all the PEE that those boys surround it with cuz they wake up in the morning and decide it's more important to rub their EYES at the toilet then AIM! ... yeah... I don't like this job at all...

Not to mention I am also .. the interior decorator, the toxic waste banisher, the party planner, the photographer (nothing like every memory needing to be captured for FOUR boys... no pressure) ... the videographer, and the chronological date keeper... the booger capturer, the butt wiper, the bather, the soother, the singer of lullabyes and all things silly, Pet handler, I am at my husband's beck and call for all things... well... that's neither here nor there... but I am also adding to that the tedious task of ...

TEACHER ... not that I wasn't a teacher before, teaching the kids their ABC's and 123, to talk to walk to shake their butt when they dance... to sing a song of silly to say animal sounds and up and downs ... to brush their hair, their teeth to put their socks on... but I'm also taking on the task of homesummerschooling Noah and homeschooling Calahan next year, a teenager... I'm finding the idea both exciting and terrifying...

So, that says I'm worth WAY more then $117,000 ... are you kidding!?! That is way more then 10 jobs, and I'm sure there is a ton more I'm not thinking of at this moment! Especially when some of those jobs involve ... GASP ... TOXIC WASTE ... shivers ...



4 comments:

  1. That is just beautiful Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, I would love that kind of cash!

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great journaling! I hope you have a Happy Mother's Day!

    ~Maureen
    --from the 100club

    ReplyDelete

Comment Love is better than....... Chocolate!