Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Monday Morning BITES... oh wait , it's Tuesday...but I got an award!


Anyway ... this isn't the entry I was *planning* on writing. I was going to show off my new award that Angie so kindly awarded me with.... (THANK YOU ANGIE!!) ... and then choosing my victims blogging buds that I want to award it to (Angie would so be one of them, but since she just got one...) ... She runs My Four Monkey Reviews & Giveaways blog too. Anyway - thanks again Angie...

Anyway ... anyway... anyway... I got a really disturbing text this morning - Dennis was making lobster at school today - they were just prepping and the toxins particles floating in the air happy as clams... and he started to have an allergic reaction. He hadn't eaten any and he knew he was allergic to shrimp because of the iodine in it (yes he's allergic to iodine) and didn't know what other shell fish he was allergic to... he can sample but not eat - if that makes sense.

There are levels to allergic reactions... or food sensitivities ... I am allergic to 90% of fruits and some veg (depending) ... I am allergic to pretty much every fruit and it's scary. My biggest one being Apples. I swell up, my throat swells, it's fun - pretty - and I start making these hacking spewing noises cuz my mouth and throat itch and the only way I can get any relief is if I make these monster horrible noises. That is only sampling it.. like taking one bite. It may not happen right away, it can take up to a half hour for the allergic reaction to hit. Now, imagine if I ate some awesome salad that I loved, and ended up eating a whole bunch of it that I didn't know about it being in there... yeah ... Hello Dr. McDreamy!

We didn't know he was allregic to lobster - had NO clue.. knew there was a possibility - but had NO clue!

So he texts me and he says ....he's having an allergic reaction, he had to leave the classroom.

He kept telling me he was okay in text messages and not to worry - and then he called me, and OMG - my heart dropped when I heard his voice. I knew he needed to go in, and I was hoping all he would need was benedryl but worried he'd need epi! Well, he got off the phone with me and I started crying.

I know how allergic reactions are and it was bad...

So he calls me a little while later and says he's on his way to the hospital - he got directions from the school, one of his friends had offered to drive him, but he said no (stupid stubborn son of a ...) ... and you can just tell he's worse. I could anyway. He's like "I can still see fine, I can get air in.." .. I'm like fuck that, I'm worried .. I said "yeah but I'm worried about you in the time it's going to take you to get there" ... well he got there, amazingly ... and he's getting an epi and benedryl. GAH... and he's 2 hours away at school and I can't just grab the kids and jump in the van and go - like I want to. I'm waiting and waiting and waiting....

Going crazy.... oh oh he is calling - he is on his way back to school, he says he is shaking his way back to school cuz the epi made him really shaky.

I still get to worry about him until he comes home


3 comments:

  1. I hope that he has a good day at school now that a trip to the hospital is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, gotta love that kinda start to the day! Hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh scary! My baby has allergies and we haven't figured them all out yet. We where at my mom's one day and Aden was 2 at the time. He drank some of Gerbers mixed fruit juice and all of a sudden my son starts clawing his face -- I thought maybe it was his eczema, a few min. later his eyes get all puffy and he has red spot coming out all over his face and neck -- I yelled for my husband, put Aden in the car and took off to the ER. He had an allergic reaction to the pineapple and the kiwi in the juice. Very scary so I know how you felt. I was so scared my baby would quit breathing before we got to the ER.

    I'm glad your son is ok.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Love is better than....... Chocolate!