Saturday, December 9, 2017

The Discussion.... ..



Noooooooo not THAT one.....

This one.....

Kaedyn came up to me not long ago and said "Santa isn't real." I don't remember how we got on the subject or what promoted the statement ...  but I do remember my heart sinking.

If I could make it so, I would have them believing forever.

So I played the whole, "Well if you don't believe anymore, Santa doesn't bring you gifts." game...

He wasn't real impressed but he listened - LOL ... because when I went in his room two nights ago and said...  "So you really don't believe in Santa?"  He shrugged.  He wouldn't confirm nor deny since he knew he might not get gifts... LOL ...

So I had to have the talk with him.... and Nathan.

Because after Kaedyn made the "I don't believe in Santa" statement ...  I ran into the other room where Nathan was and asked Nathan if he believed, he simply said "No" ... lol...   so matter of fact like.

So I said "What about Cookie?  Do you believe in Cookie?"  Cookie is our Elf on the Shelf ...  He nods and says "Yeah" ... and after some questions, I finally said "Why do you believe in Cookie?"  He goes, "He's an elf!" ...  I said "Yeah but how come elves are real and Santa isn't?"

His response both broke my heart and made it soar at the same time.....

He said, "Because I am one."

Now if you are stumbling across my blog, don't know my family well, You should know that our 10 year old son Nathan is a small guy.  He has growth hormone issues and he is not the typical size of a 10 year old.  Infact...

Here is Nathan and his best friend Rylee at the beginning of the school year....



That girl is literally the reason why we think Nathan is doing so well this year.  She's been by his side since he started back to school from homeschooling in October 2015 ...  she has been seriously amazing.  Which I have to give credit to her mom, we couldn't be more thankful, that's for sure.

He has a lot of medical issues, and growing is just one of many...

But yeah, so ....  I had told the boys, these two clowns....


(Nathan in the red, at 10. Kaedyn in the blue, at 9 - 16 months younger than Nathan)

So I told the boys that Santa is more of a feeling, and not so much a person.  I told them that it's the feeling of magic, and joy.... happiness about getting and more importantly giving gifts that you know will be special to someone.  It's about being kind and nice to people you don't even know.  I told them that we don't have a lot of money but we can make eye contact with someone and offer them a smile. Or help a neighbor with something.  Even going out of our way to help someone we don't know because it makes us feel good that we did something good.  You may never know what those tiny things do for someone in a day.   That's what Christmas is about.   That's what we should try to do all year, too.  

And he looks at me and he says "So who puts the gifts under the tree?" 

"Mom & Dad" 

"I KNEW IT!"  He paused a few seconds.  "What about Cookie? Do you and Dad move him?"  

I nodded. 

He likes being right about as much as I do.  LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Love is better than....... Chocolate!