Yeah - well... welcome to my yesterday!
WARNING: Baby Poops & Pee and other such nastyness is discussed with in this blog! If you would rather not read some TMI with in this post, please just keep my son Nathan in your prayers if you decide to go past this post - he may very well be hospitalized today.
Since Nathan has been SO SICK - for pretty much the last MONTH ... first with the mysterious 104 temps and upset tummy (last time this happened they thought he had Swine Flu and turned out to just be a virus) ... and then after a few good days, Kaedyn got sick with the rotavirus and 3 days later Nathan started ... well at the time Kaedyn got the poops - I thought it was because of his teething (it looked like he was getting 2 more teeth up top that were ready to push through at any moment.) ... so being through teething poops before, I thought that was why. Well, once Nathan got them - I started thinking it might be a virus going through the house? Well 3 days later with Nathan running a 102 temp for more then 24 hours, Kaedyn's behind was redder then a Valentine and so sore and raw (and sometimes bleeding) that he would scream the moment he started seeing the changing table or the tub of wipes. He had been developing this rash through the week he had the poops and I had tried everything from diaper rash cream (3 different kinds) to Utter Balm, to Yeast infection stuff ... nothing helped, it just kept getting worse. So to the DRs we did go. Into Urgent Care. So the DR listens to me - checks their butts (cuz Nathan is getting a rash at this point too) and examines them. He declares that they have the "Rotavirus" ... he gives me an Rx for "Butt Spackle" no kidding, that's the "official name" ... SEE...
Which started to heal both their butts up in a few days and YAY!! Kaedyn started to not have the poops with EVERY diaper, but I was worried about Nathan because HE has no reserves like Kaedyn does. I mean, let's admit - Kaedyn is a fat little chubby monkey who losing a little weight wouldn't do him any harm, however, Nathan literally has NOTHING he can lose. The initial 102 temp he had for a couple days went away and I thought - YAY - he's getting through it too. Along with the poops and the fever Nathan was also occasionally vomiting. Not all the time, and not to the point where he wasn't keeping anything down, but more then normal. So the fever went away, and the butt rash went away, but the poops and the occasional vomiting hung on for him through the weekend, and beginning of the week. Well, Tuesday he started getting stuffed up (nose) too... so I attacked his nose with saline and a bulb syringe and put some vicks vapo rub type stuff on him... and the fever came back and he threw up a TON Tuesday night, so I said fine, we are going in tomorrow. I had been putting it off because he would seem to get better and then poof - worse again. Still poops with every diaper, and now I was seeing a decrease in appetite again and his drinking so I'm getting worried about dehydration. His tears seem a little more delayed when he cries and various other stuff. So yesterday morning at 8am I called the clinic where his PED is... got this reply "he's out of town for the rest of the week" ... well hot damn - seriously? I said "I feel he needs to see SOMEONE can he see anyone?" and normally I don't do this... the kids PED knows their history and I don't have to walk down everything, in cases like that I just usually run them to urgent care, but we had just been there last week and I felt this needed something more .... so ya know it's got to be serious... So she asked what was going on and I explained to her, stressing the fact that Nathan is labeled "Failure to Thrive" due to his lack of weight gain... and she said she thought we should be seen at the main clinic in their Peds Dept and transferred me there. Once I talked to them, they said their only appointment was with the Nurse Practitioner and wasn't until late morning. I'm like - whatever - I'll take anything at this point. I know that if it's serious enough (like I think it is) then the NP will get one of the DRs in there too. So I packed up the kids got the diaper bag filled with stuff we may need (diapers, wipes, cups, snack bag, etc) ... I packed up the toy bag with cars, trucks, guys, books, etc... and Noah brought his DS. We brought cuddles with us (blanket and stuffy for both Nathan and Kaedyn - something I don't normally do - HOWEVER, I knew there was probably a chance of being told Nathan might have to be hospitalized so I wanted to make sure I had stuff just incase.) Well right before we left, Nathan had a major blow out, poops all the way up his back (literally) and I had to change his PJ's and everything, gave him a wipe bath (otherwise we wouldn't have made it to the appt) and got him all clean.We got to the clinic and I got Nathan in the double red deluxe get everyone's attention stroller and gave him his blankey and his Beanny (his bear) and then Kaedyn in it (leaving his blanket in the car but taking his Elmo) and making sure we had the "keep the kids attention - I hope" bag...
and the diaper bag, and walked in. We got checked in at the front desk and went up to the Peds Dept (Noah getting to man the elevator all on his own) and didn't even get to check in when a nurse came out and said "is that Nathan?" ... so we went back and talked a little to the nurse, then the NP came in and I told her everything that was going on.... Nathan had already been weighted and he was at 17 1/2 lbs clothed when he had been a little over 18lbs clothed at urgent care last week, so we know he's lost a least a half a lbs. Plus had on heavier clothes yesterday. So she decided she was going to do the run of tests. They ended up catheterizing him to get a urine sample, they took a TON of blood ... they did a chest x-ray ... and the lab department had thrust forth upon me a large gray bag with the few supplies I needed and containers for the stool sample stuff. After all his tests were done, we went back up to the room we had started in and I pulled out the cards and started to play Go Fish with Noah (Nathan was super tired) ..... Nate fell asleep while we were waiting on the lab tests but before he did (before we started playing cards) I got out one of the bags (actually a U-bag) ... to put on his behind (er...squz me?) and got it on as best I could. Figured he was about due. Well he fell asleep and the staff kept popping in and out saying they were still waiting for results. Needless to say that when the DR on call and the NP came back in, they said all the tests that were back looked great, and they weren't sure why this was going on. Asked if the lab had gotten a stool sample, I said no but I put the bag on him - no luck. She said she didn't want to poke him for an IV and fluid since he was sipping on water and they wanted us back in the next day (today) ... if he's not better - there is a good chance they will hospitalize him.
Well we got home and he fell asleep.... Kaedyn took a nap, and Noah went to watch TV while I made some lunch. By the time lunch was done - Noah was outside playing and Kaedyn was awake. Nathan was still asleep.
So Kaedyn and I shared our lunch (and I gave him the fork and bowl to play with... lol... )
Nathan was still asleep...
This is pretty much everything that's happened in the last 24 hours ...got home at almost 2pm - between the clinic and the car ride home, and sitting in the comfy chair while I got his brother, he drank almost a whole cuppie of water - I get him a fresh cup.
gave him 2 ritz crackers - one ended up hanging out behind him, one to the side of him...
he fell asleep (which I figured - he just seems super tired)
3:15 - Noah comes in from outside and it wakes him up - he sits up for a little bit, I re-offer him the crackers and remind him where his cuppie is. He ate some of the crackers, but towards the end of them he spit them out (not sure why)
I moved him from the chair to the couch because his baby brother was bugging him, put his beanny (bear), his blanket by him, and his cuppie. After doing a few things, I went back and asked him if I could check his butt, he just starred off and I realized he was falling back to sleep so I let him be. Sure enough, but 3:45 he was asleep again.
5:20 pm - woke up, whining for a few moments - changed positions on the couch (more like he was going to get off the couch) .. but feel back to sleep
5:27 pm - woke up again whining - got up to console him, checked his bag on his bottom, nothing in there yet it seems - doesn't seem he's wet his diaper either .. I haven't changed his diaper since before going when I changed him at 10:20 because he had poo'd all the way up his back. Took him to the nursery to throughly check the diaper, sure enough - nothing :(
5:30 he goes back over to the chair, Mommy turns on Blues Clues to make him happy, gets him a fresch cup of water
5:45 - got up and checked on him, he's asleep again.
6:20 - wakes up, Mom checks him - still nothing. Tries to get him to drink some water, he won't. Pushes it away repeatedly yelling at me. I get him a cup of chocolate milk instead and he has started sipping on that after first refusing that also. He is still just in the chair not wanting to be touched. Discussing calling the DR on call.. Mom caught him smiling and bopping to Blues Clues...
6:48 - Mom stops at the chair for a drive by kiss, he is still awake, he scrunches up his face and wipes it off, then goes back to just laying there miserable not making a sound. Yeah - this is NOT Nathan. Nathan is usually vocal when something happens he doesn't agree with and he is usually all over the place and RARELY lays in one place for more then 5 minutes if he is awake. However Daddy did get a smile
7pm - HE FINALLY PEE'D!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!! And he drank half a cuppie of milk! He wants to be held but when he is, he is trying to escape, so after some fighting trying to get him comfortable, he finally decided he wanted the chair to himself again.
8pm - HE FINALLY POO'd! (I don't qualify that as a "yay" on any level) ... unfortunately only part of it (maybe half) got in the bag, but I squeezed and pushed as much as I could out of it to get ONE SAMPLE out of FOUR! Ugh! And I only have one more bag.
8:15 - he's sitting up now so I asked him if he wanted more Blues Clues and he pointed to the TV ... I'll take that as a yes... drank 1/2 a cuppie of milk
8:30 - he poo'd again but I hadn't placed the 2nd bag (to catch it) on him. It wouldn't have been enough to really *do* anything with anyway. It *may* have managed one more container. I did get the bag back on him when I changed him again
9:15 - he decided that he was hungry and directed me to the meat drawer in our fridge which his hot dogs are usually in (we ran out last night) so I offered some ham and he ate two large thin slices of ham, then I think he got a tummy ache. He had a few more sips of milk.
10:30 pm - he's asleep again (wearing the bag overnight?)
1:25 am - Nathan came in Mommy & Daddy's room and woke up Mommy (right away smelling the reason why) Mommy got up and changed him. The bag she put on had fallen off his bum and so it caught.... (drum roll) ... nothing..... Got his milk cuppie (3/4 of the way full) out of the fridge for him. He seems awake but just wants to lay and be left alone. Mom goes back to bed. (He did drink all the milk)
3:45 am - Nathan needed another change - unable to save anything from it because it all soaks right into the diaper - Mom went back to bed after getting him all comfy.
6am - Nathan came into Mommy's room - he was still dry but his diaper was falling off (he was probably playing with it) So Mommy fixed it, put on some cartoons and went back to bed (Dad got up)
8:30 am - Nathan again needed changing - this time I think he pee'd along with the diarrhea, again it all soaked into the diaper. After changing he managed into the kitchen where he just sort of laid there
8:50 am - Mom gave Nathan his tyroid med, re-offered him the Fruit Loops that Daddy had gotten for him this morning, and got him a cup of milk.
9:30am to 10:30 am - played a little (no where NEAR normal) ... lead mommy to the fridge to get the last piece of ham and ate it, drank his cup of milk... sat on Mom's lap a lot
10:40 got a bad stomach ache, put Mommy's hand on his tummy (so I rubbed) .. he settled down a little but he flipped over to eventually and ended up having a BM ... so I changed him again right away and it was so much that not ALL of it absorbed, so I got as much as I could that hadn't absorbed into the diaper into the rest of the speciman jars (sorry it came from the diaper but those bags did NOT work for him)
11:05 getting really fussy again (or still) and isn't liking that Mommy is trying to get stuff done around the house. He just wants Mommy to sit and cuddle him.
On a good note, Kaedyn was crying a little while ago and Big Brother instinct broke through, he went into the nursery and was trying to climb the crib to see what was going on while Mommy tended to him ... Mom went off to look for a Paci and when she came back in the room, Nathan had crawled under the crib and found one for him. Yay Nate!! You knew just what your bubby wanted!
11:30 Noah came in and wanted a snack so he brought me some poptarts to open, I offered Nathan part of one and he ate most if it (his piece was about 1/4th of a poptart, the top broken off)
12:30 - tried to get Nathan outside for a little while, he had no interest (and he LOVES going outside normally) ... Kaedyn and I went out and took some pictures of our sunflowers leaving the door open a little thinking it might get him out anyway - and no luck. Came back in after 10 minutes or so and found him at the front door looking out the window. So I put Kaedyn down again and went in the bedroom to talk to Daddy and Nathan came in whining, he had stunkied up his diaper again so I got up and changed him, now he's sitting in the comfy chair with his blanket and some milk and watching Dora.
1:30 ... he's had some energy over the last hour and has been playing - yay - and has been fever free for over 24 hours, but the fever came and went earlier in all this too and only returned Tuesday. He wanted some food so I opened the fridge and he picked out pickles, so I gave him a pickle (baby dill pickle) and then he wanted another. After that one gave him some ham.
2pm - Poo'd again - and changed - getting very whiney again :(
(Nathan at about 8:30 this morning)

Grumpy Noah
Noah took this picture of Mommy ...
So yeah.... it's been stressful around here. We are all really worried about Nate, hoping that he doesn't get hospitalized but if that's what it is going to take to get him better, then lets do it!*Update* We are home - no hospitalization - yay!! She was happy with the fact that he was vomit and fever free for the past 24 hours, and that he was taking it about the same as he was putting out - so she took hospitalization off the table - all his tests so far came back find but his urine culture... apparently that one came back positive for E-Coli ... yep... :: sigh :: ... it wasn't a HUGE amount and would have been common had there been some contamination - however - they cath'd him so there WOULDN'T be any contamination ... so she said it was enough that she wanted to treat him for it. So he is on antibiotics for 10 days ... Daddy is all upset thinking it's his fault but I told him he could have gotten it tons of ways. We just don't know (and it could have been contamination, getting the catheter in him was NOT an easy task considering his hypospadious and not knowing exactly where his urinary tract is - but better safe then sorry) - if there is anything new or that returns, or if he gets worse, I'm suppose to call in ... if his poops get worse I'm suppose to call in. So we'll see I guess what happens but I sure hope he gets better!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm so sorry about all you have to go through. I wish you the very best. (((HUGS)))
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment on my blog. I just read about your day - holy cow!!!!!! I'd be dead by now, I'm sure from the sheer stress. Not that this is helpful in any way but I was privy to a study about rotavirus - don't ask me how - and I heard that they have a vaccine - or at least they're trying to get approval for a vaccine for it - and I'm thinking that after your day - you would have appreciated it! So relieved to hear Nathan is on the mend. What a horrible virus!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your comments on my blog, they were so very helpful for me to read. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteYou have such a beautiful family. I cannot believe all that you have gone through in your journey. What an inspiration. I don't know how you keep such a positive attitude!
Glad that Nathan is starting to feel better...but, oy!, what a scare! (I had no idea peeing was so important.)
ICLW
WHEW! What a day you all had! I'm glad that Nathan didn't have to go to the hospital and he's feelin a bit better.
ReplyDeleteHope you got some sleep and are feeling refreshed.
*HUGS*
ICLW