Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow + Ice + Expecting Flooding = State of Emergency


Found via Google which linked back to a NEWS ARTICLE
Seattle and our area (we are usually grouped into the area of Seattle) ...  has completely been crippled by the weather the last few days.  Monday, my kids and I had off because it was MLK Day.  Tuesday, it seemed like everywhere but our town got snow ... and my class got canceled (the kids went to school.)  Tuesday night/Wednesday morning - the snow started.  We had a pretty good amount on the road when I took my friend to work that day.  This is a video I took driving home.... (Jan. 18 just before 6am) ...


This is a video I found on youtube - I think it's a cab driver - but you can see how much snow has fallen, you can see the snow weighing down the branches of the trees ... add onto that the ice from today! 


We have been seeing this a lot....
found via Google - Fox 12 in Oregon weather alert graphic
We have been seeing a lot of this.  In fact, the news has been on from 4am to 8pm when prime time TV starts. There have been a lot of road closings ... accidents ... they've been giving snow totals and updating on what areas are being hit hard.... one of the guys said there were about 300,000 homes without power ..  figure 3-4 people per house, and that's over a million people without power right now. 

Today ..... the governor announced she was declaring a State of Emergency for the state of Washington  ...

Found via Google - linked back to a NEWS ARTICLE
I got the text messages saying they were closing the public school around 4:30am yesterday, and the college just before 5am.  They closed school for today - late last night.  They closed for tomorrow already at about 6pm tonight. 

I did venture out today.  We needed milk so I decided to go down to the smaller local neighborhood grocery store about a block away.  Going the mile or so away to the bigger one consisted of going up and down a pretty nice hill....  and I didn't want to chance it.  We got out to the car and it was frozen shut.  Luckily - it wasn't super hard to get into. 

The ice on top of the snow was about a quarter inch thick to a half inch.... 
 I was standing on the drivers side of the car cleaning it off (this isn't zoomed in).... we got about 7 inches of snow ...
 The ice on the car

And the icicles......


But I finally got the rose pictures I was trying to get ........... turned out - PERFECT :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Love is better than....... Chocolate!