Saturday, March 27, 2010

Weekend Warriors: Week 1

Jane @ Adoption of Jane hosts Weekend Warriors over on her blog ... got check it out
There are no rules... this will run
through the whole weekend
(Friday evening posted by 9pm PST
thru Noon Monday, PST )
so that Special Needs Families
will have time to participate..
we never know what any day is going to be like..

I just want to point out that I've started to add "Pages" to my blog so things are sloooowly disappearing and going up there!!   I have so far added a tab about our family, my buttons for those Families who have Children with Medical issues that I titled "Special Families" and then I put up condensed stories of both Noah and Nathan up there for people to read.  So if you haven't read Noah and Nathan's stories yet, I ask that if you are reading this - you please go up there and read about two of the biggest miracles in my life.  

Noah has learned that the DR's had predicted that he wouldn't live when he was born, and it bothers him a lot.  (He overheard something I was saying to the Pastor at Church) ... So he's getting to that age that he wants to know why ...  it's hard to explain to him.  

In other news, Nathan had another genetic blood test done to see if they could find a genetic link to RSS and it came back normal.  Less then 10% of RSS children have that genetic material to back it up, but it's still frustrating.  It's like knowing he has it and just not having the proof on his medical records to back it up right now.  So frustrating!!  

Anyway .... the Weekend Warrior Question of the Week is....  

This weeks Question:
if you knew then what you know now, 
how would this information have 
changed your 'list' of 'must haves' for baby 
e.g. skip the really cute little hat with ears 
[he's never gonna wear anything on his head ever] 
and opt for a life time supply of Velcro 
for all those pesky PECs.......

 (He did wear those hats, btw, and so did Nathan, see...)  
Noah at 6 months (photography done by Emily King Photography when she worked at Sears, she took all of Noah's baby professional pics and once she quit Sears, so did we.. LOL..) 

She also took this one of Noah too which is one of my absolute favorites

See I have a love affair with those cute hats, at least one of them let me put them on (all below photography was done by me)
Nathan at 3 months (both the above taken on the same day)

Nathan at 6 months - (this is the outfit we brought Kaedyn home in - that say anything?)

Nathan at 7 months

Nathan at almost a year

Okay - enough with the hats (but there are more, trust me! LOL)

I have to say that I found it VERY difficult to even buy anything for Noah.  I was being told over and over that he would die either before he was even born, or shortly after birth...  even though I had hope and faith he would survive... with every wave on the ultrasounds... I would walk into the baby departments, and see something so adorable I just HAD TO HAVE ... but I would get a sick feeling and have to put it back.  I couldn't justify buying brand new things for him, I couldn't deal with the thought of having HIS STUFF there to come home to if I didn't have him with me.  It would be to heart breaking for me.   I was given a changing table, my Mom bought me a bassinet and a stroller/carseat combo travel system.   We got some preemie cloths on ebay, which in turn ended up being WAY to big for him.  After he was born, we had to find sites where wonderful people sold micro-preemie clothes.  We got preemie books and even a 1st Year Calendar NICU edition.  I have to say that the biggest must have, for use, were the swings.  They were a God send with both Noah and Nathan.  


And boppys were wonderful for tummy time.  Both boys have pretty bad sensory issues and a lot dealing with food...  


I haven't had to deal with the sensory stuff for Nathan much yet, we're going to look for some stuff for him when we move and get our own place.  He displays a lot of autistic symptoms sensory wise, but not socially.  We wonder if he might have Asbergers, and realize that he probably won't be able to be diagnosed until he's older if he does.  I would like to get him one of these ... 


The Sensory Swing
And a Tactile Pillow (which I'm thinking about trying to make myself)
Just planning on getting him a lot of sensory type stuff to help him with his sensory issue, or help him explore that...


3 comments:

  1. Awesome post!! Thanks for joining me.. I was so lonely. I had four people last weekend so check back tomorrow, Sunday i had more posts!

    Your sons are absolutely adorable miracles! The angel pic... Gorgeous!!
    I love your blog. I read both boys stories and grabbed their buttons.

    You are a truly beautiful person and it radiates through your boys. No question where they got there strength and will from at such an early age.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to find you through Jane's site. Come on over and read our story when you get a second. I love the angel picture also. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to add a page like your Special Family page to my blog. Would you mind if I stole the idea and used it also? If not it's okay. I'd just like to pass on others stories as well as Colbys. Let me know. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Comment Love is better than....... Chocolate!