Sunday, January 24, 2010

I'm So Dizzy, my head is SPLITTING ...



This is a sequel to I'm So Dizzy, my head is Spinning ....  yep... So Dennis took me into the ER Friday night.  We got the babies to sleep so everything would be easy peasy for Calahan to babysit.  So we get to the ER and the parking lot is pretty empty, well at least not as full as normal.  So Dennis makes the comment that it shouldn't be that long of a wait ...... ha...


We get in there and there a lady slumped over a chair sharing the contents of her stomach with the floor, it was awful nice of her to say the least, I'm sure the floor appreciated it.  A lady off to the side said that she'd check us in, so we went over there, and away from the poor lady with what Dennis could only assume was food poisoning (he said from under cooked chicken - how he knows, I have no idea, and I wasn't going to ask.)  So I get checked in and ... as we were walking to the waiting room, there is a lady at the desk with a bloody nose, blood running all over her face and hands.   Then we get into the waiting room and another lady comes in and sits by the public phone.  She picks it up, makes a call, and you can't help but over hear her.  Her Dad is in horrible shape, he had a stroke, which the DRs think he would be okay from, but the arteries to his brain are completely blocked (or mostly blocked, very little blood flow is getting to his brain) and they can't do anything about it.  He's going to die.  The lady's son walks in, he looks to be about Cal's age.  Maybe 15 or 16 at the most.  He sits down next to her and warns the person on the phone that he just came in.  I get called back to triage and my blood pressure was 148/83 and my pulse was super high.  I get sent back to the waiting room.  As we walk back to the waiting room, the woman is standing just outside the triage area, hugging her son who is in tears.  So sad :( 


It's like I walked into an episode of ER only the hot Dr. Carter isn't there, nor is George Clooney or Anthony Edwards.

So I finally get taken back into a room.  Another trama had been brought in by ambulance.  I'm told my nurse is Denise and she'll be in, in just a few minutes.  Then walks in a Nurse Practitioner.  Now, I have no issue with NP's but let me tell you, Dennis was REALLY pissed off that I wasn't being seen by a DR.   And last time someone other then a DR saw any of us in the family, was back in April of 2007 when they let a Physician's Assistant treat Noah, and two days later he was so sick he had to be hospitalized and I was told if I hadn't brought him in, he could have died.  So yeah, we're a little hesitant to see anyone but a DR.   So anyway - the NP asks me all these questions, he does neurology tests and I pass them all....  so he treats my headache like a migraine.

They tried to start an IV but that didn't work.  The harpooned me 3 times, once in the crook of my left arm, then in my left hand, then in my right hand.  I dealt with the harpoon in the crook of my arm okay, but she went to my left hand and she grabs my hand and says "Now, brace yourself, this is going to hurt!  The hands REALLY hurt a lot" ... and I flipped out.  I HATE NEEDLES.  It takes a lot of self control to not flip out for just blood draws!  I grabbed my hand from her and I said "are you going to use the numming stuff?" and she says, all freaked out like "Well, I wasn't planning on it?!"  I'm trying to be brave here and I'm trying to not flip out but I can't help it at this point.  So I literally freak out, I started crying and she's going "can I do it?" .. I'm crying and I can't breath, literally, I'm trying to breath but I can't take a breath in.  Dennis said I turned as red as his 4th of July shirt he had on.  It was horrible and I was so embarrassed for reacting like that, but I just do NOT do well around needles.  I don't.  I managed to say "just get it done with" after she had gone on about how it makes it harder to get the vein, and it makes the vein shrink (the numming meds) and I wanted to yell, so a person freaking out like this makes it easy?... so after she couldn't get it there, my actual nurse took over and the other lady went to get some numming meds.  Well they managed to hit the vein in my right hand, but my vein blew as soon as she tried to put some saline in.  So, it was a no go.  After that, I just said "can I just go home now?"  I don't think she was expecting that.  So she went and talked to the NP and decided to just give me injections of the medicines, so then I got harpooned three times in my arse.  YAY...  but I did feel better after a little while, the pain eased up. 

We came home, I had to eat something because I was starving, so Dennis stopped at Burger King and we got some cheeseburgers (even for Cal cuz we knew he was still up) ... and then after I ate, I went to bed.  I lasted about 10 minutes through The Mentalist before I was out.  I couldn't wake up Saturday morning, I tried, got up with the babies twice...  first time I settled Nathan then went right back to bed, second time I settled him again and I sat on the edge of our bed, trying to will myself to get half way dressed, and I was falling asleep.  So I laid down and passed out again.  Dennis then got up with the kids, and let me sleep.  I ended up sleeping until about 11, so I slept 10 hours, and I was STILL tired. 

To be honest, the meds helped but I still had the pressure behind my right eye and my vision wasn't exactly back to normal, but the horrible pain was gone.  Most of the day, yesterday (Saturday), I was fine.  Still had vision issues and pressure, but the pain was very minor.  Today, I woke back up with the headache practically full blown.   Everything is harder to read.  Turning the news on in our room this morning hurt so bad I had to cover my eyes and just listen.   The pain is horrible sometimes, and tolerable others.

I'm about to go lay down, but I wanted to update.  I'm sorry to all the ICLW's, I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to visit many blogs at it hurts to look at the computer screen too.

Thank you everyone for the notes, I appreciate them!!  Very much!    I hope to be able to respond to them soon, plus I have 4 awards to hand out!!

13 comments:

  1. i agree you should not go to the ER without seeing clooney or carter. i hope you are feeling better

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I hope you get better soon. My sinuses are usually the culprit behind my headaches.

    And when I used to have someone who could not find my vein, I asked for a specialist from pediatrics, they are experts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya - hate those trips to the ER. Hope it isn't anything serious, and you feel better soon.

    Big hugs! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you are okay and that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO right to take charge of your own medical treatment...I hate being treated like a pin cushion and not a person...or worse yet, like I'm complaining about nothing. Hope you're all better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I am not afraid of needles and your story made me feel worried and weird. Migraines are drainers. I sleep maybe ten hours. And the day after one, I usually feel very tired and unable to concentrate. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are feeling better! Or at least getting there!

    I get a migrane once or twice a year, and they (like Terry) wipe me out!

    I am sorry that you had such a horrible time at the ER, but at least you went and it helped. Maybe not a lot, but its something.

    It's also great that you have such a supportive family helping you out. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! I have gotten a hand IV before and IT IS NOT FUN! After the fact the nurse told me that is the most painful place to get one...as if I had a choice, right? :-)

    Hope you are feeling better!

    Shannon - January ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hate going to the e.r

    every migraine episodes equals to at least 3 blown veins, and 4-6 failed IV sites.
    hope you feel better
    ICLW hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG how terrible. I hope you are better now, my sister gets migraines so bad, so I know how painful they can be. Sending you speedy thoughts of recovery. Happy ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry! I hope everything gets better soon. No fun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's horrible. I sure hope you are feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Poor you! I hope you're feeling better really soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Love is better than....... Chocolate!