Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Yes... Poison Control........"

I have come to ..... accept the fact.... that no matter what I do, I probably will NOT be able to keep my two youngest kids out of the ER.  Nope... not when Nathan has choked TWICE in a matter of days, and Kaedyn decided to eat Sarna Lotion (we have for his eczema) so I had to make my FIRST CALL EVER to Poison Control.  Yep, that's right...... 14 years of parenting, it took my last child 16 months to get me to call Poison Control.  I can on imagine what he has in store for me as he grows.

They have this habit of booby trapping the front door.  It usually involves everything they can possibly pile up infront of the door......

Yes that's right... the camera flashed and both of them spun around ...  Kaedyn immediately charged me like a raging bull with pointy horns and Nathan took a stealthier approach... 

After I got them changed for the day, dressed, and all cute.... diapers changed...  they started playing in their room.  Now, I don't NORMALLY leave them in their room, or their bedroom door open anymore... because this is usually what I find......



So we've learned to close the nursery door.   Well, they were both playing so nice I let them play.  I went into the living room and sat down at my computer, wrote a couple more lines to my book (which I've been working on heavily this weekend and week) ... and got up 5 minutes later and checked on them.  They were still playing very nicely.   I told Cal that it was almost his turn to play the X-Box and when he got up, in 5 minutes, to check on the babies, and sat back down to write a little more.   So, three minutes later... Kaedyn came out to me, covered head to toe in baby powder, and with lotion on his face, by the corner of his mouth and all over his little hands.  He handed me the bottle of Sarna lotion.  Like "here, it tasted horrible, you take it." 

OMG!!!

ARE YOU SERIOUS!?!?!

I grabbed whatever was closest and wiped the lotion away from him, from his cheeks, away from his eyes, and away from his mouth.   Wiped as much of the powder away as I could... and smelled his breath.  OMG, sure enough, it smelled like Menthol...  yay - he ate some.  Checked the back of the bottle, it says "If ingested, take to hospital or call poison control" ... being down to one car, and Dennis being at work with it, I opted for Poison Control first.  So Cal is getting the babies in the bath for me while I made the call and I hear him say, "Mom, wait 'til you see their room."  Great... wonderful, I don't even want to know.....

I get a live voice and first thing I say ...  "14 years of parenting, this is my first call to Poison Control, I think I'm doing pretty good!" ..... ha!  I was trying to be funny, but I'm sure it sounded nuts considering I was nervous.  So I explained to her what happened, what he ingested.  After a lengthy discussion, we figured he didn't consume much, he probably just tasted it and figured out it tasted bad so he brought it to me (smart kid) ... and if he did consume a small amount, worse that would happen is a belly ache and or the poops.  So, she asked me to just make sure that he got something to drink to wash whatever WAS in his mouth down so it didn't just sit there. 

Then I walked into the room, and saw this.........

(The School House you'll see later was sitting in the bare spot in the first picture)




Parenthood:  My own little slice of hell ....... with laughter!   ...  okay, so I sorta don't mean that... but still!

So I haven't been the best blogger or commenter the last few days since I have been suck in my book.   I have gotten almost 2 chapters written since Saturday.  Not only that, but I've been battling a horrible headache.  I woke up with it Saturday morning and it hasn't gone away.  I happened to have a DR appt on Monday, so I talked to my reg. doc about it, and she gave me some vicodin and told me if that didn't brake it, to call them ... so I had to call back today to tell them it hasn't broken it.  I made an eye appointment for next week, just incase that's what it is.  The doc wants me to see a neurologist.  That would be the first week of Feb.  So yeah...  there are a lot of symptoms going on right now.  None of which I'm use to, or use to hanging around for so long.

20 comments:

  1. Holy cow - that is one powdering mess! :-) Too funny (when you aren't the mom that has to clean it up!)
    Scary with the poison control though - glad it sounds like he was okay.
    ***Ally
    Stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. I know where you're coming from. That piano picture makes me want to cry. lol. Visiting from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from SITS...

    What a little stinker!! He sounds like quite the character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love how boys can make a mess faster than you can spell it? LOL sounds like your house is full of action!!

    Good thing he just wanted a lil taste! Glad it turned out ok!

    Have a good one, stopping by from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - that's a lot of powder! Glad he's ok!

    ICLW
    http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wowow! not a nice scene with all that powder! i loved the outline of your child sitting on the floor! Stopping by to say hello from ICLW. Fran

    ICLW #90

    ReplyDelete
  7. That powder is INTENSE!!! I hope you were able to get it all cleaned up.

    My mom likes to tell the story about when I was a year old. She was painting and didn't even think about it...she turned around and I was licking the paint stick. My mouth was covered in white paint and I had a huge grin on my face. :)

    Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is impressive!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, was there any powder left in the bottle? :) Looks like he had fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word. I hope you think it's funny now! Great idea taking pictures...love the lables! Stoppig in from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. don't feel bad. I have had to call Poison Control for each of my 3 kids. It happens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have a meltdown seeing that mess, I hope the boys helped clean it up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word! Wow...that mustve been a loooong clean up day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG! You are NOT making me look forward to baby sister walking and my two girls getting into things together! I definitely feel for you. Soon, when they are old enough to scrub toilets every weekend and they ask why they have to you can show them the messes YOU had to clean up because of them! Pay back time!
    (BTW, I found your blog on SITS today.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not laughing at you - much.

    And... we had to call poison control on the dogs (and I have 4 kids, 1 grandson) after more than 20 years parenting, so- not sure if that's better or worse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh! It's things like this that sometimes make you want to throw up your hands and run away! It's awesome that you had enough sense of humor about it to take pictures for the rest of us. Your boys are gorgeous, btw. I am a homeschooling mom with three boys, so I can't imagine how busy you are with all that plus medical issues and a career. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My middle daughter self medicated once--Tylenol. Probably a couple of teaspoons is all, but called PC anyway. They said she might be sleepy and not to give her anything for at least 24 hours. No powder mess. My son sprayed perfume in his eye not too long ago. My bathroom was lousy with the scent. Chemical burns on his eye that needed drops--drops to a 4 y/o...yeah that's an easy task. No powder mess. I would have cried. You are a trooper. And I think after 14 years, that is saying something!

    Stopping from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL- it looks like a bag of coke exploded in your play room! Glad everything turned out ok!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my stars- I laughed out loud (even though I'm sure, at the time, it was the polar opposite of funny.)

    I haven't called the poison dudes yet for my bitsy gal, but I HAVE called for my two kittens at one point or another, and most definitely for myself. Yep, bleach in the eye. Basically their response was- uh, don't do that.

    Happy SITS day!

    Keely

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness....! I would have lost it. Could poison control have helped with advice on how to clean up the mess?!

    Hope you had a wonderful SITS day!

    ReplyDelete

Comment Love is better than....... Chocolate!